Goals of the Program
- To enhance self-esteem, self-worth, and self-respect
- To teach girls to take responsibility for what they think, say and do to deter risky behavior
- To uncover leadership potential to create change and build a more positive school environment
- To discover and let go of negative behaviors and choices that hold them back
- To teach girls to make positive choices regarding friends, sex, and drugs
- To create a vision for each teen girl and an action plan to achieve educational and personal goals
Why The Need
Statistics consistently demonstrate the alarming incidence of dangerous behaviors in middle school aged girls, as well as the positive impact of mentoring. 2009 data suggests that, of the middle school girl population in the U.S.:
9% are pregnant
22% never make it through high school (drop out)
27% have been or will be suicidal
34% have eating disorders
55% experiment with alcohol, drugs or tobacco
and, of those with low self-esteem, 25% resort to self-injurious behavior and 75% report engaging in activities such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking or drinking
The good news is that data also suggests that youth who are mentored are:
27% less likely to begin using alcohol
37% less likely to skip class
46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
52% less likely to skip school, are more confident in their academic performance, and get along better with their families.
"I think mentors are important and I don’t think anybody makes it in the world without some form of mentorship." ... - Oprah Winfrey.
To register for our programs please fill out the form at the following link.